Antero Clearwater Facility & Landfill
Antero, with its partner Veolia, is developing an industry-leading water treatment and reuse facility that provides an alternative and innovative solution to current disposal methods, creating environmental, economic and community benefits.
Antero’s ongoing commitment to sustainably managing water resources is reflected in the company’s industry-leading freshwater delivery system.
This initial infrastructure build-out of the freshwater delivery system – representing a nearly $500 million investment – is creating important local benefits, including the elimination of 820,000 fresh water truck trips since 2014 alone.
With the new water treatment and reuse facility, Antero is building upon these long-term environmental and economic commitments.
- The advanced water treatment and reuse facility represents a $275 million investment, which will stimulate local economic activity.
- Construction of the facility will support nearly 250 jobs.
- Once operational, Antero’s facility will directly support 21 permanent employees as well as 25 supply chain service jobs.
- The facility will also generate significant state and local tax revenues for the region.
- Once fully operational, the facility – which is centrally located within Antero’s core acreage position to maximize efficiencies – will on average reduce water truck travel by more than 10 million miles annually.
- This nearly 50 percent reduction in water-related truck travel not only further reduces roadway impacts, but will also cut greenhouse gas emissions by an average of more than 30,000 tons each year.
- Approximately 95 percent of Antero’s water will be treated at the facility, virtually eliminating the need for wastewater disposal wells.
- The facility will provide an additional freshwater supply of 41,000 barrels/day (1.7 million gallons/day), which will positively offset withdrawals from West Virginia’s water resources.
Antero Midstream Partners LP (Antero) – along with Veolia as well as Alliance Consulting, Inc., a West Virginia-based engineering and environmental consultancy – are working collaboratively with all relevant regulatory agencies and other key stakeholders to ensure that every aspect of its water treatment and reuse facility, the largest facility of its kind in Appalachia, meets or exceeds all environmental protection requirements.
As part of the facility’s design – which further integrates Antero’s industry-leading best management and operational practices for water reuse and recycling – Antero has proposed an onsite landfill to safely and efficiently dispose of salts.
For a detailed FAQ overview of the proposed landfill, click here.