Health, Safety & Environment
At Antero Resources, the protection of our people and the environment is a core value. Our vision is clear and simple – to be leaders in our operations as well as in our communities. In our business operations, we focus on controlling operating costs and maximizing shareholder value, but we will never compromise on safety.
A focus on safety, health and preservation of the environment puts people and the community first and is the right thing to do. It also makes good business sense. A strong safety culture and dedicated environmental stewardship reduces risk, enhances productivity and builds a strong reputation in the communities in which we operate. We have earned a reputation as a safe and an environmentally responsible operator through continuous improvement in our safety performance. This makes us an employer of choice for current and newemployees.
We invest in safety training and coaching, promote risk assessments and encourage visible safety leadership. We sponsor emergency preparedness programs, conduct regular audits to assess our performance and celebrate our successes through the annual contractor safety conference where we acknowledge employees and contractors alike who have exhibited strong safety leadership during the course of the year. These many efforts combine to create a culture of safety throughout the company and provide a positive influence to our contractor community.
Our systems and processes are only as good as the leadership and commitment we demonstrate every day on the job.
Several of our other specific ongoing efforts are listed below.
- Fostering Strong Partnerships with Antero Contractors – Antero holds periodic Contractor HSE Meetings to review HSE performance, collaboratively solve problems, address public concerns, provide an open forum and most importantly to recognize the dedication and commitment to the HSE Antero Ideals that are being upheld by Antero’s contractors
- On-Site In-Field Safety Representatives – Antero has safety representatives who are continuously on site 24/7 during every significant operation, including drilling, completions and flowbacks
- Closed-Loop Mud Systems – Antero uses closed-loop mud systems on all drilling rigs which eliminates the need for open mud pits
- Liners and Mats on Well Pads – Antero uses protective liners and mats on all well pads during drilling and completion operations
- Natural Gas Powered Completion Equipment – Antero’s first contracted natural gas powered frac fleet began operations for Antero in early July 2014
- Green Completion Units – All Antero well completions utilize green completion units. These units essentially eliminate methane emissions during flow back and cleanup of wells following completion and prior to being placed on line for sales
- Water Pipelines to Reduce Truck Traffic – Water pipeline networks are being constructed by Antero Midstream, which is 59% owned by Antero Resources, to move water from area to area for well completion operations and water truck traffic reduction (approximately 2,000 truckloads per well)
- Clearwater Facility - The water treatment and reuse facility will process up to 60,000 Bbl/d of produced and flowback water from Antero's completion operations. The facility will reduce water truck traffic by more than 10 million miles annually and cut greenhouse gasses by more than 30,000 tons each year.
- Natural Gas Vehicles – Antero is supporting a natural gas fueling station in Clarksburg, WV. Antero currently has 30 NGV trucks and plans to continue to convert its fleet to NGV
- Corporate headquarters in Denver, Colorado is LEED Gold Certified